19 November 2010

I Am Not A Spa Girl


I've recently come to the realization that I am not a spa person.  I am naturally high strung and have a difficult time giving myself over to relaxation.  I know that most people think that I'm insane - what normal human being doesn't like a massage?  I guess I'm just not the normal person.  Yesterday, I went with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and grandmother-in-law to a Bliss Spa in South Florida.  We started out by having a great lunch at the hotel's restaurant - including some midday Prosecco beverages.  Then, we headed to the spa - got into our cotton robes and electric blue Haviana slippers and our spa day had officially begun. 

Part of the reason we went is if you purchased a spa facial or massage you received a free manicure.  Let me start by saying, the manicure was one of the best that I ever had.  I would gladly go back for the manicure anytime someone asked me!  I like getting manicures or getting my hair done because you get to sit and converse while you're getting pampered and after the pampering the end result is that you have noticeably nicer looking nails and/or hair.  After I have a facial I look like a tomato face and I get pimples that pop up for the next two weeks - and ultimately, whenever you receive a facial they hock you to China to buy a million different creams and cleansers they are peddling.  Generally, after a massage I am very sore, get bruises in random places, and feel leaving (relaxed), but greasy...I cannot wait to shower the butter cream off of me!

There is one spa treatment that I truly do enjoy (every time) and I have made up my mind that if I ever go to a spa again I will only elect to do this treatment: Reflexology.  The definition of reflexology is: "the practice of applying pressure to the feet and hands utilizing specific thumb, finger and hand techniques without the use of oil, cream or lotion based on a system of zones and reflex areas that reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands with a premise that such work effects a physical change in the body."  The reason that I enjoy reflexology, when it is done by a trained professional, is you are asked prior to the session beginning what physical issues you may be having and the technician focuses on those particular issues during the treatment.  I've never had one done and not left feeling better. 

No comments: